From: bhkwanThoughtWorks.com
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 01:21:45 CST

    This is a very strange behavior. I don't know if this is a problem with my
    configuration or a bug with crond

    I have installed RedHat 7.2 and use pam_ldap to connect to an OpenLDAP
    server for authentication. Authentication is fine. I can login without
    any problem ( both telnet and ssh are working fine ). However, when I
    create a user's cron job ( eg, after I login as user "abc" where "abc"
    exist on the LDAP server ) with the crontab as follow

    00,05,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * touch /tmp/abc

    the first time of the cron job will run, but it will never run afterward.
    for example, if the first cron job start at 30, any job afterward ( like
    35,40,45,... ) will never run. The crond's log ( /var/log/cron ) did show
    all the cron job run probably.

    by the way, I manually delete the file after it run ( eg at 36minutes ),
    /tmp/abc/ never created again even though /var/log/cron show the cron job
    is running and done.

    however, if I don't use pam_ldap ( ie remove all the ldap keyword from
    /etc/nsswitch ) and create a user locally, then edit the cron job again,
    the cron job did run every 5 minutes.

    Since I can login and the system did get the proper UID and GID, I believe
    pam_ldap and nss_ldap is working fine.

    I will try to install RH7.1 on a different machine to see if it has the
    same behavior.

    please advice.

    thanks!