From: Andrew Morgan (morgan_at_transmeta.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 13:23:03 CDT

    There is a significant difference between building Linux-PAM and
    building a distribution around it. For one thing, Red Hat and the other
    distributions include their own modules - pam_stack.so is one of them.

    In my experience, it is generally fine to simply type make install from
    the Linux-PAM build tree, and overwrite parts but not all of the Red Hat
    PAM install. However, I don't mind killing my system once in a while -
    you might.

    You shouldn't think of more recent versions of PAM as being necessarily
    better. Don't underestimate the effort and time the distributions spend
    getting everything to work together, I am often behind with some modules
    feature wise, but I hope the library parts are bleading edge.

    Cheers

    Andrew