The infamous "check pass; user unknown"

From: Oliver Schulze L. (oliversamera.com.py)
Date: Thu Apr 28 2005 - 10:56:27 CDT

Hi,
I don't know if this is the correct list for this, but this is my problem.

I have Linux (RH9/Fedora/RHEL4) setup with ldap for local accounts,
that is, for replacing the /etc/passwd with ldap.

All is working correctly. I have run 'authconfig' and the program configured
/etc/ldap.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf

The problem is that in /var/log/messages I get this 2 lines for every
*sucessfull*
login. That is for every kind of login: console, pop3, imap, ssh, etc

Apr 28 11:53:00 server app(pam_unix)[13817]: check pass; user unknown
Apr 28 11:53:00 server app(pam_unix)[13817]: authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=

The string server is the hostname, the string app is the application
that the user used
for login in, like login, sshd, dovecot, etc

I wonder if there is a solution for this or is some kind of limitation
or a message
that can not be supressed using the convination of pam/ldap/nss_ldap ?

Many thanks
Oliver

--
Oliver Schulze L.