Re: Linux locked accounts and PAM

From: Dan Yefimov (dannf15.lightwave.net.ru)
Date: Tue Oct 07 2008 - 16:25:26 CDT

On 07.10.2008 2:40, Max Bowsher wrote:
> I know about the special behaviour of "!" in a password field when SSH
> is managing authentication itself. My point is that this special
> behavior does NOT exist any more when SSH is authenticating via PAM -
> but I want it to!

If SSH authentication does be performed via PAM (so called keyboard-interactive
authentication), you do have that behaviour. But, IIRC, you perform
authentication with SSH public key, which completely bypasses PAM infrastructure
at the authentication stage regardless of 'UsePAM yes' setting, thus the result
you observe. PAM has nothing to do with that. Please carefully read sshd_config
manual.
--

Sincerely Your, Dan.