php-general-digest-help_at_lists.php.net
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 03:52:25 CDT

    php-general Digest 15 Jul 2002 08:52:25 -0000 Issue 1465

    Topics (messages 107636 through 107680):

    mysql LIMIT
            107636 by: Alexander Ross
            107638 by: Robert Cummings
            107640 by: David Freeman

    Re: REminder APllication
            107637 by: The Doctor

    retrieving random data from mysql database
            107639 by: mm fernandez
            107641 by: David Freeman
            107642 by: Chris Knipe
            107667 by: Anas Mughal

    Re: Can not delete files that were uploaded
            107643 by: Richard Lynch

    Question 1
            107644 by: Chris Kay
            107669 by: David Robley
            107672 by: David Robley
            107673 by: David Robley

    Training / Courses in Australia
            107645 by: Chris Kay

    Re: PHP and geographic maps
            107646 by: Martin Towell

    Re: Newbie Date question
            107647 by: Jason Morehouse

    DOM XML : experimental ?
            107648 by: Mario de Mello Bittencourt Neto

    Re: Does not work
            107649 by: Alberto Serra
            107651 by: Justin French
            107658 by: Saci
            107660 by: Peter
            107662 by: Justin French
            107664 by: Saci
            107665 by: Justin French

    Re: (Exact) Difference between -> and ::
            107650 by: Alberto Serra

    Re: compiling with mysql
            107652 by: David Robley

    IF inside LOOP?
            107653 by: Csar Aracena
            107654 by: Martin Towell

    Re: IF inside LOOP? <-- SOLVED
            107655 by: Csar Aracena

    two way encryption
            107656 by: Justin French
            107657 by: Joe Conway
            107661 by: Justin French
            107663 by: Joe Conway
            107666 by: James Cox
            107668 by: Justin French
            107670 by: Jason Wong

    ignore_user_abort question
            107659 by: Jose Arce

    Re: Variables aren't being passed to php page
            107671 by: Jason Wong
            107677 by: Tim Luoma

    BREAK into the DB
            107674 by: Csar Aracena
            107675 by: Martin Towell

    Re: BREAK into the DB <-- SOLVED
            107676 by: Csar Aracena

    mysql error or PHP
            107678 by: Wilbert Enserink
            107679 by: Justin French

    select multiple within for-each
            107680 by: William S.

    Administrivia:

    To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
            php-general-digest-subscribelists.php.net

    To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
            php-general-digest-unsubscribelists.php.net

    To post to the list, e-mail:
            php-generallists.php.net

    attached mail follows:

    can I use limit to show the 2nd record on without knowing how many more
    records there might be?

    also, what happens if I set the limit in a mysql statement (LIMIT 5,10), but
    there are only 3 results? 7 results?

    attached mail follows:

    Alexander Ross wrote:

    > can I use limit to show the 2nd record on without knowing how many more
    > records there might be?
    >
    > also, what happens if I set the limit in a mysql statement (LIMIT 5,10), but
    > there are only 3 results? 7 results?

    This looks like a question that could be answered with a 10 second test
    query!

    Cheers,
    Rob.

    --
    .-----------------.
    | Robert Cummings |

    attached mail follows:

    > can I use limit to show the 2nd record on without knowing > how many more records there might be? > > also, what happens if I set the limit in a mysql statement > (LIMIT 5,10), but there are only 3 results? 7 results?

    My answer would tend to be that you should try it for yourself and see...

    But anyway, without having tried it myself recently, the first question is that you could use LIMIT (2, 1) and you'd probably get what you're trying for. As for the second question, you'll only get what records there are. If your limit excludes all possible results then you'll get no result (ie. If you use LIMIT(5, 10) and you've only got 3 records, then you won't get anything back at all. If you've got 7 records then you'll get the last 3 of them). But in all honesty, you could have worked this out for yourself fairly quickly with some simple testing of your own.

    CYA, Dave

    attached mail follows:

    On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 10:05:05PM -0400, John Holmes wrote: > > DOes anyone know how to build a reminder application on: > > > > a) identified users > > b) Sorting users' reminders?? > > Yes. > > ---John Holmes... > > http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-n > o-answers.html >

    Getting down to specifics then:

    1) I have a reminder process that

    a) uses .htpasswd b) USes a static file

    So I want to:

    I) Convert or use said file using a fill in the blank username/password process on a Web Page

    Once in

    II) The user have instant access to their reminder list so they could

    A) Modify by adding and/or deleting B) Set up an e-mail reminder time C) Set up which e-mail address to go to.

    Can I do/convert this and SPECIFICAAL how?

    Member - Liberal International	On 11 Sept 2001 the WORLD was violated.
    This is doctornl2k.ab.ca	Ici doctornl2k.ab.ca
    Society MUST be saved! Extremists must dissolve.
    Beware of defining as intelligent only those who share your opinions

    attached mail follows:

    hi, can you teach me how to retrieve random data from my database? like for example...i have a list of names on my database and i'd like to retrieve only one name at a time..randomly. how do i go about this?

    hope someone can help...thanx.

    attached mail follows:

    > can you teach me how to retrieve random data from my > database? like for example...i have a list of names on my > database and i'd like to retrieve only one name at a > time..randomly. how do i go about this?

    This is really a database question rather than a php question and you haven't said which database you're using so it's hard to give a definitive answer. In MySQL you'd do something like this:

    Select * from some_table where some_condition order by RAND() limit 1;

    That would select one random row out of all rows that meet "some_condition".

    CYA, Dave

    attached mail follows:

    SELECT RANDOM name FROM table

    or

    SELECT name FROM table ORDER BY RANDOM LIMIT 1

    not tested, used at your own free will.

    --
    me

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "mm fernandez" <mmrlasaltech.com> To: <php-generallists.php.net> Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 11:37 PM Subject: [PHP] retrieving random data from mysql database

    hi, can you teach me how to retrieve random data from my database? like for example...i have a list of names on my database and i'd like to retrieve only one name at a time..randomly. how do i go about this?

    hope someone can help...thanx.

    attached mail follows:

    When you say, Order by RAND() I would think the "Order by" construct expects a column name. In your case, it gets a decimal value. How does "Order by" treat decimal values? Oh, I just checked the manual: In MySQL Version 3.23, you can, however, do: SELECT * FROM table_name ORDER BY RAND() I still don't understand how does "Order by" work with a decimal value!!! David Freeman <dfreemanoutbackqld.net.au> wrote: > can you teach me how to retrieve random data from my > database? like for example...i have a list of names on my > database and i'd like to retrieve only one name at a > time..randomly. how do i go about this?

    This is really a database question rather than a php question and you haven't said which database you're using so it's hard to give a definitive answer. In MySQL you'd do something like this:

    Select * from some_table where some_condition order by RAND() limit 1;

    That would select one random row out of all rows that meet "some_condition".

    CYA, Dave

    attached mail follows:

    >> Be warned that if PHP can delete them, so can anybody else on the shared >> server who wants to write a PHP script to delete them, unless you've >> configured PHP specially to run as a specific user, which is unlikely for >> most ISP setups. > >How can PHP be configured to run as a specific user? I'm referring to a >DSO installation, where I assume that because PHP is 'part' of Apache, it >would be the same user as Apache.

    Apache 2.0 allows that...

    Meanwhile, in *CURRENT* ISP-land :-)

    Some ISPs give you *BOTH* Apache as Module (DSO) and as CGI via suExec, using different extensions.

    So for those really critical security pages that need to run as you, use the .phpcgi (or whatever) extension and leave the rest as "normal" .php

    Actually, I don't even know what the extension is that does .phpcgi on my servers, I just use the ForceType directive to set the mime-type.

    It's nice to be able to run a PHP script as "me" when I have to instead of as "nobody"

    Very nice.

    --
    Like Music?  http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm

    attached mail follows:

    I am looking at importing data from rdtool into a mysql backend And not sure how to go about it...

    I was wondering if anyone has tried this or know of some information that may help.

    Or even a theroy on how the best way would be to do this...

    Thanks in advance..

    ---
    Chris Kay
    Technical Support - Techex Communications
    Website: www.techex.com.au   Email: chris.kaytechex.net.au
    Telephone: 1300 88 111 2 - Fax: (02) 9970 5788
    Address: Suite 13, 5 Vuko Place, Warriewood, NSW 2102
    Platinum Channel Partner of the Year - Request DSL - Broadband for
    Business
    ---

    attached mail follows:

    In article <E00ACB0129A4C748B02A744610798CE50652CEheadoffice- fs.techex.net.au>, Chris.Kaytechex.com.au says... > > I am looking at importing data from rdtool into a mysql backend > And not sure how to go about it... > > I was wondering if anyone has tried this or know of some information > that may help. > > Or even a theroy on how the best way would be to do this... > > Thanks in advance..

    Does rdtool allow you to export in commma/tab/whatever delimited format? Then just use mysql's LOAD DATA INFILE

    Cheers

    --
    David Robley
    Temporary Kiwi!

    Quod subigo farinam

    attached mail follows:

    On 15 Jul 2002 at 14:27, Chris Kay wrote:

    > > I wish it was that eazy :) > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > --- Chris Kay Technical Support - Techex Communications Website: > www.techex.com.au Email: chris.kaytechex.net.au Telephone: 1300 88 111 > 2 - Fax: (02) 9970 5788 Address: Suite 13, 5 Vuko Place, Warriewood, NSW > 2102 Platinum Channel Partner of the Year - Request DSL - Broadband for > Business > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > --- > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: David Robley [mailto:robleydparadise.net.nz] > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 2:27 PM > To: php-generallists.php.net > Subject: [PHP] Re: Question 1 > > > In article <E00ACB0129A4C748B02A744610798CE50652CEheadoffice- > fs.techex.net.au>, Chris.Kaytechex.com.au says... > > > > I am looking at importing data from rdtool into a mysql backend And not > > sure how to go about it... > > > > I was wondering if anyone has tried this or know of some information > > that may help. > > > > Or even a theroy on how the best way would be to do this... > > > > Thanks in advance.. > > Does rdtool allow you to export in commma/tab/whatever delimited format? > > Then just use mysql's LOAD DATA INFILE >

    OK - I can then assume that rdtool is the Ruby Documentation tool? At least that's what google chucks up. It appears that it produces documentation in a number of formats. Perhaps if you could be a bit more specific about exactly what you want to achieve? For example, how is your data currently formatted? is it just in text files? what sort of table structure do you want to put it in?

    --
    David Robley
    Temporary Kiwi!

    "This is mutiny!" said Tom bountifully.

    attached mail follows:

    On 15 Jul 2002 at 14:50, Chris Kay wrote:

    > > The data is stored in a text file that is created by mrtg/rrdtool > The file size always stays the same and never grows even though the data > does. > > I wish to pull the data into a mysql database, I don't have fields yet as > I am not sure how to do it,... > > > -----Original Message----- > From: David Robley [mailto:robleydparadise.net.nz] > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 2:49 PM > To: Chris Kay; php-generallists.php.net > Subject: RE: [PHP] Re: Question 1 > > > On 15 Jul 2002 at 14:27, Chris Kay wrote: > > > > > I wish it was that eazy :) > > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > --- > > > > > -----Original Message----- > From: David Robley > [mailto:robleydparadise.net.nz] > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 2:27 PM > > To: php-generallists.php.net > Subject: [PHP] Re: Question 1 > > > In > article <E00ACB0129A4C748B02A744610798CE50652CEheadoffice- > > fs.techex.net.au>, Chris.Kaytechex.com.au says... > > > > I am looking at > importing data from rdtool into a mysql backend And > > not sure how to go > about it... > > > > I was wondering if anyone has tried this or know of > some information > > > > that may help. > > > > > > Or even a theroy on how the best way would be to do this... > > > > > > Thanks in advance.. > > > > Does rdtool allow you to export in commma/tab/whatever delimited > > format? > > > > Then just use mysql's LOAD DATA INFILE > > > > OK - I can then assume that rdtool is the Ruby Documentation tool? At > least that's what google chucks up. It appears that it produces > documentation in a number of formats. Perhaps if you could be a bit more > specific about exactly what you want to achieve? For example, how is your > data currently formatted? is it just in text files? what sort of table > structure do you want to put it in?

    First, may I suggest you keep the discussion on-list, as there may be others there better equipped to help you.

    My first suggestion, now that you say you are using rrdtool not rdtool:-) would be to open the file in which your data is stored and try and work out the structure in which it is stored. Then, decide which of that data you need for your purpose, and work from there.

    --
    David Robley
    Temporary Kiwi!

    "My stereo's half-fixed," said Tom monotonously.

    attached mail follows:

    Would anyone know of any PHP training or courses in Australia...

    Also for the devolopers...

    Is there at present, or a future plan for a PHPCE A certified engineer :)

    Just a thought since everyone else has them....

    ---
    Chris Kay
    Technical Support - Techex Communications
    Website: www.techex.com.au   Email: chris.kaytechex.net.au
    Telephone: 1300 88 111 2 - Fax: (02) 9970 5788
    Address: Suite 13, 5 Vuko Place, Warriewood, NSW 2102
    Platinum Channel Partner of the Year - Request DSL - Broadband for
    Business
    ---

    attached mail follows:

    > Lowell: > > On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 09:25:56AM -0400, Lowell Allen wrote: > > Are you using JavaScript to update the image without going back to the map > > server? > > Dude, Dynamic HTML / JavaScript are a poor idea... unless you don't care > about your potential customers. > > http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/code/weberror.htm?j=y > > --Dan

    The requirements for this project was that the site is designed for IE5.5 and above with JS turned on. So in this case, using DHTML was fine.

    attached mail follows:

    include("Calc.php");

    #http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Date_Calc/ #Date_Calc - a class for manipulating and comparing #Calendar dates, as well as formulating arrays of dates # for traditional calendar display.

    $yesterday = Date_Calc::prevDay($day=date('d'),$month=date('m'),$year=date('Y'),$format="%m-%Y-%d");

    Hope that helps. -J

    --
     Jason Morehouse (jm [] netconcepts [.] com)
     Netconcepts LTD - Auckland, New Zealand

    attached mail follows:

    Hi,

    I am planning to use PHP to develop some scripts that will need to create and manipulate html pages. One of the things that will be created is a DOM tree of the html.

    After reading the manual I've found that php supports the event-driven and dom xml, but with the latter tagged as EXPERIMENTAL. I've also noticed that as of 4.3.0-dev (which I am using) the api has changed.

    So I'd like to know how "experimental" (also stable) this support is and suggestions regarding this issue and DOM itself.

    One of the main issues is that I'll need to cope with html (not xml) and mostly not "well-formed".

    Regards.

    attached mail follows:

    !

    Saci wrote: > // HTTP_REFERER as a feature. In short, it cannot really be trusted. > > Anybody know how to do that using JAva history with PHP together , or any > other methode that works and can be trusted.

    Thank god no method can be trusted :) History even less the the referrer. Just think of the frequency at which people in their offices clear it to avoid bosses seeing where they surfed while they were supposed to work...

    You'll never get a secure method, and if you do I'll personally report you to the authority for protection of privacy :) Marketing dotcoms would just love to do it, but fortunately it cannot be done :) Relax, you can live without knowing where some of the guys came from. Most won't mind telling you. But I just cleared my history immediately after reading your msg :) Pavlovian reaction ;)

    -_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_-

    LoRd, CaN yOu HeAr Me, LiKe I'm HeArInG yOu? lOrD i'M sHiNiNg... YoU kNoW I AlMoSt LoSt My MiNd, BuT nOw I'm HoMe AnD fReE tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS ThE tEsT, yEs It Is tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS ThE tEsT, yEs It Is.......

    attached mail follows:

    Pffft you can't trust Java, JavaScript or anything on the server side at all. Since it's set by the browser (client) itself, the best you can do is test for it, and provide a fall back option.

    For the bulk of users, this will be okay, because they're on IE. What you need to be carefull of is what effect your fall back has on the unknown browsers.

    Or design/program without the need to know what they're using :D

    Justin French

    on 15/07/02 5:34 AM, Saci (nospambol.com.br) wrote:

    > // HTTP_REFERER as a feature. In short, it cannot really be trusted. > > Anybody know how to do that using JAva history with PHP together , or any > other methode that works and can be trusted. > >

    attached mail follows:

    To say the minumum yor reply does not help in nothing.

    Who cares about privacy on my own company Intranet ?

    "Alberto Serra" <albertoserragala.net> escreveu na mensagem news:3D3212ED.5020802gala.net... > ! > > Saci wrote: > > // HTTP_REFERER as a feature. In short, it cannot really be trusted. > > > > Anybody know how to do that using JAva history with PHP together , or any > > other methode that works and can be trusted. > > Thank god no method can be trusted :) History even less the the > referrer. Just think of the frequency at which people in their offices > clear it to avoid bosses seeing where they surfed while they were > supposed to work... > > You'll never get a secure method, and if you do I'll personally report > you to the authority for protection of privacy :) Marketing dotcoms > would just love to do it, but fortunately it cannot be done :) Relax, > you can live without knowing where some of the guys came from. Most > won't mind telling you. But I just cleared my history immediately after > reading your msg :) Pavlovian reaction ;) > > > > > > > -_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_- > > LoRd, CaN yOu HeAr Me, LiKe I'm HeArInG yOu? > lOrD i'M sHiNiNg... > YoU kNoW I AlMoSt LoSt My MiNd, BuT nOw I'm HoMe AnD fReE > tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS > ThE tEsT, yEs It Is > tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS > ThE tEsT, yEs It Is....... >

    attached mail follows:

    > -----Original Message----- > From: Saci [mailto:nospambol.com.br] > Sent: Monday, 15 July 2002 12:51 PM > To: php-generallists.php.net > Subject: Re: [PHP] Does not work > > > To say the minumum yor reply does not help in nothing. > > Who cares about privacy on my own company Intranet ? > > ummmm the bosses.. the employees tring to hide where they been from the bosses... the network admin... the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on ...

    attached mail follows:

    on 15/07/02 12:51 PM, Saci (nospambol.com.br) wrote:

    > To say the minumum yor reply does not help in nothing. > > Who cares about privacy on my own company Intranet ?

    1. I don't believe you specified this was a company intranet, but you may have.

    2. Generally it's a good idea to get things right the first time, rather than assuming that something will always remain in it's current state. I tend to copy-and-paste a lot of code from one project to another, or assemble libraries of code. It might be okay for you to say "this code works for a limited environment, and i'm happy with that", but will you remember this when:

    a) you copy it across to another project b) the status of the project changes or is extended c) the project is no longer in your control

    If you insist on sticking with this limitation, do yourself and your co-workers a favour, and ensure you:

    a) comment your code well, pointing out the limitation b) do some minimal (at least) error handling to deal with the fact that it may not be there

    3. The reply WAS helpful, raised some important issues, and IMHO you should have thanked the poster for being kind enough to point out issues you may not have thought of. You could have easily replied with "thanks for those pointers, but I'm less concerned with privacy, since this is a corporate intranet".

    I'm not sure I'd ever help you again, if I'd received a reply such as yours.

    Justin French

    attached mail follows:

    I agree, I made a mistake on my last reply , and I apologize for that.

    Thank you also for you for your coments, but my main question still open without any related reply.

    > > > To say the minumum yor reply does not help in nothing. > > > > Who cares about privacy on my own company Intranet ? > > 1. I don't believe you specified this was a company intranet, but you may > have. > > 2. Generally it's a good idea to get things right the first time, rather > than assuming that something will always remain in it's current state. I > tend to copy-and-paste a lot of code from one project to another, or > assemble libraries of code. It might be okay for you to say "this code > works for a limited environment, and i'm happy with that", but will you > remember this when: > > a) you copy it across to another project > b) the status of the project changes or is extended > c) the project is no longer in your control > > If you insist on sticking with this limitation, do yourself and your > co-workers a favour, and ensure you: > > a) comment your code well, pointing out the limitation > b) do some minimal (at least) error handling to deal with the fact that it > may not be there > > 3. The reply WAS helpful, raised some important issues, and IMHO you should > have thanked the poster for being kind enough to point out issues you may > not have thought of. You could have easily replied with "thanks for those > pointers, but I'm less concerned with privacy, since this is a corporate > intranet". > > > I'm not sure I'd ever help you again, if I'd received a reply such as yours. > > > Justin French >

    attached mail follows:

    This works for me, PHP 4.1.1

    Upon first loading the page, I get nothing, but when I click on "go", I get both referrer address' echoed.

    refer.php:

    ---
    <A HREF="refer.php">go</a><BR><BR>

    It's already been said but:

    1. are you sure php is working (with other files, and with simple echo "hello world!"; type stuff)?

    2. use this file (phpinfo.php) to test for the existence of HTTP_REFERER:

    refer.php: --- <html> <body> <A HREF="refer.php">go</a><BR><BR>

    Upon first loading, it will not be set, but when you click go, you have a referer, and it is set. For me, it's listed under the Apache Environment heading.

    If you still can't get a referrer var after all that, then there's an issue with your server (are you using apache????) or perhaps the client (browser).

    because it *should* be simple.

    Justin French

    attached mail follows:

    !

    Micha wrote: > Hi, > > I would like to know the exact difference between -> and ::. > I know that I can use as class directcly by using :: but I still don't > know the exact meaning.... > So why do they use in Example 8 on > http://www.php.net/source.php?url=/zend2_example.phps $this->id = > self::$id++ and not self::id++ or $this->id++ ... ? >

    Some OO languages (notably smalltalk does it) name a difference between Class methods (and variables) and instance variables. What is "class" can be used and executed even when lacking any actual instance of the class.

    PHP has not fully implemented this model (we miss class variables, that is, a value that is common and general to all instances of a given class) but does have a bit of it.

    So :: is mainly used to execute a method without needing to create an instance for it. If your class "Printer" has a method "changeCartridge()" you can use Printer::changeCartridge() without the need of any prior $myPrinter = new Printer()

    That is, you use a class as a common library. This has a limitation in that you cannot dinamically say $myclass::changeCartridge(), while you can say:

    $a = "printer"; $p = new $a(); $p->changeCartridge();

    The operator :: cannot address internal variables directly like -> does for the simple reason that no variable exists, in the absence of the instance. Which is why you declare $ signs. :: operator is also handy when you need to call an overriden method. By saying parent::myMethod() you call your parent's method, while $this->myMethod would execute the locally redeclared code.

    -> operator can be read (maybe it must be read, I don't know) as "belongs to". So "this->a" means "the $a that belongs to $this" (the object in which you are executing class code). -> obviously only applies to single instances and not to classes.

    Hope it was clear.

    -_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_--_=}{=_-

    LoRd, CaN yOu HeAr Me, LiKe I'm HeArInG yOu? lOrD i'M sHiNiNg... YoU kNoW I AlMoSt LoSt My MiNd, BuT nOw I'm HoMe AnD fReE tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS ThE tEsT, yEs It Is tHe TeSt, YeS iT iS ThE tEsT, yEs It Is.......

    attached mail follows:

    In article <Pine.LNX.4.21.0207120957190.1434- 100000localhost.localdomain>, olcninti.com says... > > Another PHP compilation question ... > > I've just compiled PHP 4.2.1 --with-mysql. I added no path to mysql, and > it worked fine as it always does. However, I'm keen to add mod_python as a > DSO to Apache as well, and noticed in PHP's INSTALL notes that I'll > probably need to recompile PHP with a path to mysql: > > --with-mysql=/somewhere/or/other/ > > 1. Is this always the case? > > 2. Where would the path be likely to be on RedHat 7.2 with MySQL rpms?

    I'm not a Redhat user, but.... I think you will have to have installed a source rpm for mysql. You can probably check if you have the include files installed by doing locate mysql.h to give you the mysql include directory, possibly something like /var/mysql/include or /usr/local/mysql/include. Stripping the /include should give you the 'parent' directory under which both the include files and lib files can be found.

    Cheers

    --
    David Robley
    Temporary Kiwi!

    Quod subigo farinam

    attached mail follows:

    Hi all. Ive been fooling around with a LOOP which should show one or more text string stored in separate rows in a DB. The trick would we to separate them with commas (,) when theres another string to show or end it with a period (.) if no other row is found according to the SELECT criteria. This is what I have so far: for ($m=0; $m<$num_rows2; $m++) { $row2 = mysql_fetch_array($result2); echo $row2[devlanguage]; if ($m < $num_rows2) { echo ", "; } else { echo "."; } } The problem is that the LOOP stops as its told to do, keeping the ELSE statement from doing its work, resulting in comma separated string as it should, but also add an extra comma at the end of it instead of a period. What approach should I use? Thanks in advance, <mailto:webmastericaam.com.ar> Cesar Aracena CE / MCSE+I Neuquen, Argentina +54.299.6356688 +54.299.4466621

    attached mail follows:

    try using this if statement instead

    if ($m < $num_rows2 - 1)

    or even use the ?: operator

    echo ($m < $num_rows2 - 1 ? ", " : ".");

    -----Original Message----- From: Csar Aracena [mailto:icaamicaam.com.ar] Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 12:04 PM To: PHP General List Subject: [PHP] IF inside LOOP?

[...]

    Thanks for two things Martin: First for teaching me about the "-1" operation (which seems logic now) and second, for getting me into the "?:" operator. I've read something about it in the books, but didn't tough it was really useful 'till now.

    It worked perfectly. C.

    > -----Original Message----- > From: Martin Towell [mailto:martin.towellworld.net] > Sent: Sunday, July 14, 2002 11:05 PM > To: 'Csar Aracena'; PHP General List > Subject: RE: [PHP] IF inside LOOP? > > try using this if statement instead > > if ($m < $num_rows2 - 1) > > or even use the ?: operator > > echo ($m < $num_rows2 - 1 ? ", " : "."); > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Csar Aracena [mailto:icaamicaam.com.ar] > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 12:04 PM > To: PHP General List > Subject: [PHP] IF inside LOOP? > > > Hi all. > > I've been fooling around with a LOOP which should show one or more text > string stored in separate rows in a DB. The trick would we to separate > them with commas (,) when there's another string to show or end it with > a period (.) if no other row is found according to the SELECT criteria. > This is what I have so far: > > for ($m=0; $m<$num_rows2; $m++) > { > $row2 = mysql_fetch_array($result2); > > echo $row2[devlanguage]; > > if ($m < $num_rows2) > { > echo ", "; > } > else > { > echo "."; > } > } > > The problem is that the LOOP stops as it's told to do, keeping the ELSE > statement from doing it's work, resulting in comma separated string as > it should, but also add an extra comma at the end of it instead of a > period. What approach should I use? > > Thanks in advance, > > <mailto:webmastericaam.com.ar> Cesar Aracena > CE / MCSE+I > Neuquen, Argentina > +54.299.6356688 > +54.299.4466621 > > > -- > PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

    attached mail follows:

    Hi all,

    I'm looking at a way of encrypting AND decrypting a string (cc#) with a key. I plan to store the key in a file outside the docroot, and have asked the ISP for as much advice as possible to protect the key file.

    Anyway, since it needs to be encrypted and decrypted with a key, I obviously can't use the old faithfull md5(), and from my understanding of the manual, crypt() is also one-way.

    Then I found mcrypt_encrypt() and mcrypt_decrypt().

    Paraphrasing the samples in the php manual, does the below code achieve what I want, assuming that the key would usually be stored in a separate file outside the docroot?

    <?

    $iv = mcrypt_create_iv (mcrypt_get_iv_size (MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB), MCRYPT_RAND); $key = "This is a very secret key"; $text = "11112222333344445555"; echo "plain string: {$text}<BR>";

    $crypttext = mcrypt_encrypt (MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, $key, $text, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB, $iv); echo "encoded string: {$crypttext}<BR>";

    $dectext = mcrypt_decrypt (MCRYPT_RIJNDAEL_256, $key, $crypttext, MCRYPT_MODE_ECB, $iv); echo "decoded string: {$dectext}<BR>";

    ?>

    I'm getting the following error using 4.1.1: "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mcrypt_create_iv() in /usr/local/apache/htdocs/tests/enc.php on line 3"

    Which is confusing, given that the manual says mcrypt_create_iv() is available in PHP 4.

    Any ideas / contributions / pointers?

    Justin French

    attached mail follows:

    Justin French wrote: > I'm getting the following error using 4.1.1: > "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mcrypt_create_iv() in > /usr/local/apache/htdocs/tests/enc.php on line 3" > > Which is confusing, given that the manual says mcrypt_create_iv() is > available in PHP 4.

    Looks like your ISP doesn't have mcrypt support. What does phpinfo() show?

    General encryption advice -- generate your key using urandom and save it to your key file. It will be much more secure than anything you can think up for a good key.

    HTH,

    Joe

    attached mail follows:

    on 15/07/02 12:41 PM, Joe Conway (mailjoeconway.com) wrote:

    > Looks like your ISP doesn't have mcrypt support. What does phpinfo() show?

    Well, that was on my local test server, which I didn't compile with mcrypt... so that solves that, but it appears my ISP didn't compile with it either... so there's very little point in getting my local server working with it.

    What alternatives do I have?

    > General encryption advice -- generate your key using urandom and save it > to your key file. It will be much more secure than anything you can > think up for a good key.

    Good advice.

    Justin French

    attached mail follows:

    Justin French wrote: > Well, that was on my local test server, which I didn't compile with > mcrypt... so that solves that, but it appears my ISP didn't compile with it > either... so there's very little point in getting my local server working > with it. > > What alternatives do I have?

    I don't *think* PHP includes any builtin-by-default, non-one-way encryption functions, but I haven't looked in a long time so I could be wrong. You might be able to get your ISP to install mcrypt itself which has a command line utility. Then you could use passthru() I suppose.

    Joe

    attached mail follows:

    sorry to step in, but did you consider base64_[encode|decode] ?

    -- james

    > > Justin French wrote: > > Well, that was on my local test server, which I didn't compile with > > mcrypt... so that solves that, but it appears my ISP didn't > compile with it > > either... so there's very little point in getting my local > server working > > with it. > > > > What alternatives do I have? > > I don't *think* PHP includes any builtin-by-default, non-one-way > encryption functions, but I haven't looked in a long time so I could be > wrong. You might be able to get your ISP to install mcrypt itself which > has a command line utility. Then you could use passthru() I suppose. > > Joe > > > -- > PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php > >

    attached mail follows:

    base64 doesn't have a key, so anyone could decode the string, which is obviously not desirable :)

    thanks anyway

    Justin

    On Monday 15 July 2002 10:27, Justin French wrote:

    > I'm getting the following error using 4.1.1: > "Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mcrypt_create_iv() in > /usr/local/apache/htdocs/tests/enc.php on line 3"

    Did you actually install the mcrypt libs?

    > Which is confusing, given that the manual says mcrypt_create_iv() is > available in PHP 4.

    The hooks to those functions are there, it still requires that you install the lib.

    /* Ah say, son, you're about as sharp as a bowlin' ball. */

    attached mail follows:

    Hi, got a question.

    What happend if ignore_user_abort is true, and the user closes the window?

    Also, i tried, but i push the stop button, and the script stops, shouldn ignore that?.

    Thx :D

    _________________________________________________________________ MSN Fotos: la forma ms fcil de compartir e imprimir fotos. http://photos.msn.es/support/worldwide.aspx

    attached mail follows:

    On Monday 15 July 2002 03:55, Tim Luoma wrote: > Jason Wong wrote: > > This list gets at least one question a day on this subject ... > > And there will be a lot more as people scan the web for example scripts > and find ones that assume 'register_globals' is set to on.

    Questions coming from those sources are partly understandable.

    What I was referring to was the particular case of "I've got an application that was working perfectly using php X.XX, then I upgraded to php Y.YY and now it doesn't work anymore".

    It is those people who should look before they leap and read before they upgrade.

    /* If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door. -- Paul Beatty */

    attached mail follows:

    Jason Wong wrote: > On Monday 15 July 2002 03:55, Tim Luoma wrote: > >>Jason Wong wrote: >> >>>This list gets at least one question a day on this subject ... >> >>And there will be a lot more as people scan the web for example scripts >>and find ones that assume 'register_globals' is set to on. > > Questions coming from those sources are partly understandable.

    It was confusing to me to wonder why from one day to the next the same scripts stopped working, until I checked the PHP version.

    > What I was referring to was the particular case of "I've got an application > that was working perfectly using php X.XX, then I upgraded to php Y.YY and > now it doesn't work anymore". > > It is those people who should look before they leap and read before they > upgrade.

    Quite right.

    TjL

    attached mail follows:

    Hi all. I have this DB where Im storing this sometimes large amount of text into a TEXT field, but I cant seem to find the way to BREAK lines so it wont make my browser go 3000 pixels wide when that text is printed. About this, I have two questions:

    1) What should I use to break the text into lines at the DB so HTML can read them fine? and 2) How should I make the TEXT INPUT BOX so the visitor doesn't have to type <br> or something after 20 words or so? Is there a way that PHP can count and break text strings by itself prior storing?

    Thanks in advance,

    Cesar Aracena CE / MCSE+I Neuquen, Argentina +54.299.6356688 +54.299.4466621

    attached mail follows:

    there's a function "word_wrap()" (or is it "wordwrap()", something like that anyway) that'll help you there.

    -----Original Message----- From: Csar Aracena [mailto:icaamicaam.com.ar] Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 3:00 PM To: 'PHP General List' Subject: [PHP] BREAK into the DB

    Hi all. I have this DB where I'm storing this sometimes large amount of text into a TEXT field, but I can't seem to find the way to BREAK lines so it won't make my browser go 3000 pixels wide when that text is printed. About this, I have two questions:

    1) What should I use to break the text into lines at the DB so HTML can read them fine? and 2) How should I make the TEXT INPUT BOX so the visitor doesn't have to type <br> or something after 20 words or so? Is there a way that PHP can count and break text strings by itself prior storing?

    Thanks in advance,

    Cesar Aracena CE / MCSE+I Neuquen, Argentina +54.299.6356688 +54.299.4466621

    attached mail follows:

    Thanks Martin. Greg just told me in private to look for nl2br and through that I found wordwrap() (without "_") which helped me.

    Thanks to both of you. C.

    > -----Original Message----- > From: Martin Towell [mailto:martin.towellworld.net] > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 2:06 AM > To: 'Csar Aracena'; 'PHP General List' > Subject: RE: [PHP] BREAK into the DB > > there's a function "word_wrap()" (or is it "wordwrap()", something like > that > anyway) that'll help you there. > > -----Original Message----- > From: Csar Aracena [mailto:icaamicaam.com.ar] > Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 3:00 PM > To: 'PHP General List' > Subject: [PHP] BREAK into the DB > > > Hi all. I have this DB where I'm storing this sometimes large amount of > text into a TEXT field, but I can't seem to find the way to BREAK lines > so it won't make my browser go 3000 pixels wide when that text is > printed. About this, I have two questions: > > 1) What should I use to break the text into lines at the DB so HTML can > read them fine? and > 2) How should I make the TEXT INPUT BOX so the visitor doesn't have to > type <br> or something after 20 words or so? Is there a way that PHP can > count and break text strings by itself prior storing? > > Thanks in advance, > > Cesar Aracena > CE / MCSE+I > Neuquen, Argentina > +54.299.6356688 > +54.299.4466621 > > > > > -- > PHP General Mailing List (http://www.php.net/) > To unsubscribe, visit: http://www.php.net/unsub.php

    attached mail follows:

    Hi all,

    has anybody ever seen this? And knows what it means? thx.

    You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's self-supporting ribbed form was probably not strong enough to render the desig' at line 1

    regards Wilbert

    ------------------------- Pas de Deux Van Mierisstraat 25 2526 NM Den Haag tel 070 4450855 fax 070 4450852 http://www.pdd.nl infopdd.nl -------------------------

    attached mail follows:

    try add_slashes($string) before inserting into the database, or turn on magic quotes in php.ini

    justin french

    on 15/07/02 5:57 PM, Wilbert Enserink (wilbertpdd.nl) wrote:

    > Hi all, > > > has anybody ever seen this? And knows what it means? > thx. > > You have an error in your SQL syntax near 's self-supporting ribbed form was > probably not strong enough to render the desig' at line 1 > > > regards Wilbert > > > ------------------------- > Pas de Deux > Van Mierisstraat 25 > 2526 NM Den Haag > tel 070 4450855 > fax 070 4450852 > http://www.pdd.nl > infopdd.nl > -------------------------

    attached mail follows:

    This works OK with creating buttons but is not what I want. POST/INPUT

    <xsl:for-each select=". . . "> <xsl:sort/>

    <form> <xsl:attribute name="name">myform</xsl:attribute> <xsl:attribute name="action">list.php</xsl:attribute> <xsl:attribute name="method">post</xsl:attribute> <input> <xsl:attribute name="type">submit</xsl:attribute> <xsl:attribute name="name">insert</xsl:attribute> <xsl:attribute name="value"><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:attribute> </input> </form> </xsl:for-each>

    ***This is what I would like to do but it does _not_ work and is wrong.*** POST/SELECT MULTIPLE

    <xsl:for-each select=". . . "> <xsl:sort/>

    So how do I get a select-multiple form to work this way?

    --
    Bill
    Amsterdam, NL