php-general Digest 29 Oct 2007 08:52:47 -0000 Issue 5098

php-general-digest-helplists.php.net
Date: Mon Oct 29 2007 - 03:52:47 CDT

php-general Digest 29 Oct 2007 08:52:47 -0000 Issue 5098

Topics (messages 263766 through 263770):

Re: Newline
        263766 by: heavyccasey.gmail.com

Re: cant send mail
        263767 by: Crayon Shin Chan

sessions (version 5.1 to 5.2 )
        263768 by: Fritz Kuhlman
        263769 by: Robert Cummings

moving over to php 5
        263770 by: Hulf

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        php-general-digest-subscribelists.php.net

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        php-general-digest-unsubscribelists.php.net

To post to the list, e-mail:
        php-generallists.php.net

attached mail follows:

I use

echo 'Blah blah
blah blah

blah.';

On 10/28/07, Nathan Nobbe <quickshiftingmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/28/07, magoo <i.am.magoogmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi NG!
> >
> > I have switched to using single quotes, and found out that newline (\n)
> > only
> > works in double quotes. It looks kind of stupid using 'someString'."\n";
> > and
> > it`s kind of inconsistent using double quotes for some lines like
> > "someString\n";.
> > What`s the best way to get a consitent code?
> >

> choose the string syntax that best fits the purpose of the given string.
> if a string will not have variables embedded in it, or special characters,
> use
> single quotes. if it will, use double quotes.
> if you have a particularly long string, with variables and special
> characters
> consider Heredoc.
>
> -nathan

attached mail follows:

On Friday 26 October 2007, Diana wrote:
> The problem is I am the mail server administrator also.

Fire the mailserver administrator and employ a better one?

--
Crayon

attached mail follows:

Dear PHP gurus,

I moved to PHP from asp around version 4.something. When i tried using
sessions on my site, they just wouldn't work. No error messages, just
wouldn't work. There was a session ID generated, but if i tried....

$_SESSION['test'] = "somedata";

on page one and click on the link to page two with something like this,

echo $_SESSION['test'];

nothing was displayed. I was just playing with php at that point and just
ignored it and looked into .NET for a few months, (non related issue).

Once I upgraded to version 5.2, (i noted that in version 5.1, sessions still
didn't work), the problem disappeared, but i didn't notice anything in the
bug list of 5.1 noting this. Now an associate is having the same problem on
a site that is not planning to upgrade past 5.1 anytime soon. What are we
missing?

Note; I spent many hours trying to save session data in a db and other
setting changes to no avail.

strange. i must be missing something simple.

Thanks - php rocks!

Cheers from Shanghai

Fritz

attached mail follows:

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 11:15 +0800, Fritz Kuhlman wrote:
> Dear PHP gurus,
>
> I moved to PHP from asp around version 4.something. When i tried using
> sessions on my site, they just wouldn't work. No error messages, just
> wouldn't work. There was a session ID generated, but if i tried....
>
> $_SESSION['test'] = "somedata";

> on page one and click on the link to page two with something like this,
>
> echo $_SESSION['test'];
>
> nothing was displayed. I was just playing with php at that point and just
> ignored it and looked into .NET for a few months, (non related issue).
>
> Once I upgraded to version 5.2, (i noted that in version 5.1, sessions still
> didn't work), the problem disappeared, but i didn't notice anything in the
> bug list of 5.1 noting this. Now an associate is having the same problem on
> a site that is not planning to upgrade past 5.1 anytime soon. What are we
> missing?
>
> Note; I spent many hours trying to save session data in a db and other
> setting changes to no avail.
>
> strange. i must be missing something simple.

Maybe...

http://ca.php.net/manual/en/function.session-start.php

Do you have error logging enabled? What level? What are your session
settings in php.ini (search for [Session]). Maybe the session file can't
be written to where you want it written.

Cheers,
Rob.
SwarmBuy.com - http://www.swarmbuy.com

    Leveraging the buying power of the masses!

attached mail follows:

Hi,

It is about time I made the jump to 5, however the only thing that is
holding me back is the problem with hosts. How many hosts still run php 4
and am I going to have to spend hours and hours persuading them to upgrade
before I can run my code?

I have very little time as it is and am anxious that this is going to be
swallowed up on the phone to hosing companies and their rubbish technical
staff.

Please let me know if I will find this an easy transition or should I hold
off for now.

R.