Subject: Genericstable equivalent?
From: Kevin Hemenway (infototalnetnh.net)
Date: Wed Feb 02 2000 - 13:13:16 CST

I'm been given the task of reducing the load that sendmail produces on our
main server. Thus, based on the kazillion good comments that I have heard,
I've chosen Postfix to do the job.

So, I've read over the postfix.org site and the faq, and written down
various config options I'll need to set on a piece of paper. Haven't even
installed the program yet. One question though:

Our current sendmail setup is using /etc/mail/virtusertable and
/etc/mail/genericstable for virtual domains. For those unfamiliar,
virtusertable sends domain name addresses to the right place on the server,
and genericstable rewrites user addresses from their real address to their
domain name. The format of this file is:

    localuser preferreddomain.com
    localluser anotheronedifferent.com

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but to get virtusertable functionability, I
would do the following in the .cf file (and again - I haven't touched the
program - this is just from reading the site):

    mydestination = $myhostname localhost.$mydomain /etc/sendmail.cw
    virtual_maps = hash:/etc/mail/virtusertable

How, though, would I do genericstable functionability for multiple domains?
I've seen entries talking about using masquerade_domains and
masquerade_exceptions, but those seem to be a catchall for one domain, as
opposed to mulitple domains like genericstable.

Any help on this one? This is the one question I have which is stalling me
from going out and grabbing the tarbull. Everything else sendmail does on
the server, from my reading, can easily be duplicated.

TIA...

Kevin Hemenway
Total Net NH, LLC EMAIL: <infototalnetnh.net>
15 Pleasant St., Suite 11 WEBSITE: <http://www.totalnetnh.net/>
Concord, NH 03301 PHONE: (603) 225-8422