Subject: Re: Scalability metrics?
From: Brad Knowles (blkskynet.be)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 15:29:42 CST

At 9:31 AM -0500 2000/2/13, Bennett Todd wrote:

> The job an OS is there to perform is to manage the resources of the
> system. Whether it's permissions, or quotas, or auditing, or making
> possible specific permitted modes of inter-user data sharing, the
> more features a custom single-uid mail store gets implemented, the
> more of the job it has done of re-implementing the OS.

        Just because an OS can theoretically handle billions of UIDs does
not mean that it is a good idea to try to push it to actually do so.
My experience has been that it is better to avoid pushing OSes in
ways like this when you can avoid doing so, and if you have to write
some of your own code to do that, then so be it.

> If the OS's implementation of protection has bugs in it, you're
> screwed. Adding another re-implementation on top, with the same
> depressing characteristic, seems to me to be moving in the wrong
> direction.

        No OS was designed to scale to levels like this, and unless
you're rewriting the entire OS to do just that, you have no choice
but to apply some application level solutions for the kind of unique
problems that crop up in this kind of environment.

--
   These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
|o| Brad Knowles, <blkskynet.be>                 Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|