Subject: Re: msn.com & service denial
From: Greg A. Woods (woodsweird.com)
Date: Thu Jun 08 2000 - 09:59:39 CDT

[ On Wednesday, June 7, 2000 at 19:44:08 (-0400), Wietse Venema wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: msn.com & service denial
>
> I question the wisdom of those who configure an MTA to greet with
> 5xx and expect to receive mail via backup hosts,

It's not just questionable -- it's downright stupid, and at least in my
reading completely contrary to the way SMTP is defined by the standards.

> but sendmail allows
> for such brain damage, people have gotten used to it, and now we're
> stuck with it forever.

Does postfix really have to become market-share driven to this extent?

Drop-in compatability shouldn't mean catering to broken configurations,
even if sendmail does work with such breakage strewn about.

I'm beginning to feel that if postfix bends to every sendmail stupidity
that users will have even more reason to just stay sitting on the fence
and not convert to postfix, at least not in order to achieve a higher
standard! ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098 VE3TCP <gwoodsacm.org> <robohack!woods> Planix, Inc. <woodsplanix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woodsweird.com>