Subject: Re: unexpected side-effect of myorigin
From: Wietse Venema (wietseporcupine.org)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 17:23:08 CDT

Ian! D. Allen [NCFreeNet]:
> From: Wietse Venema
> |There's a little FAQ entry about how to force some mail deliveries to
> |be local.
>
> I saw that; I don't think I can use it. It's not that I want to force
> every occurrence of the server address idallenfreenet.carleton.ca to be
> local; I don't. If I send to the address idallenfreenet.carleton.ca,
> I fully expect and want it to be sent to idallen at freenet.carleton.ca.

So, set myorigin to the local machine name.

Then, mail for "bare" idallen is delivered locally, just like you
want, and mail for idallenfreenet.carleton.ca is delivered remotely,
just like you want.

Postfix is consistent. On all my systems, my default sender address
is wietseporcupine.org. Therefore I expect all my machines to
deliver mail for "bare" wietse to that same address. The last thing
I expect to happen is that mail for "bare" wietse is delivered as
if I had specified wietsemyhostname.porcupine.org.

What do you expect to see in headers of mail that is sent to a
local AND remote user at the same time? For example, mail sent to
root and to idallenfreenet.carleton.ca? The recipient should see
valid mail addresses.

        Wietse