Subject: Re: smtpd_helo_restrictions not being honoured
From: Michael Tokarev (mjttls.msk.ru)
Date: Wed Aug 16 2000 - 11:53:57 CDT

Chuck Dale wrote:

[]
> The reject came after the RCPT was sent even though I had
> reject_unknown_hostname in smtpd_client_restrictions.

This is the smtpd_delay_reject = yes parameter.
If it is set (the default), any rejection will be delayed
untill RCPT TO will be issued. If you set
smtpd_delay_reject = no (as I did), then negative answer
will be issued immediately, namely:
  right after connect, for client_restrictions
  after HELO/EHLO, for helo_restrictions
   (or after first command _not_ HELO/EHLO, if
    smtpd_helo_required also set to yes)
  after MAIL FROM, for sender_restrictions, and
  after RCPT TO, for recipient_restrictions.
With default smtpd_delay_reject = yes, it does not
matter where to place restrictions -- them all can be
specified in recipient_restrictions, or spread
across others -- since negative reply delayed to RCPT TO.
But if smtpd_delay_reject = no, things are different.
I set it to no to immediately show the difference.

Wow, -- maybe this was a cause also? When smtpd delays
reject, maybe invalid_hostname has meaning in
client_restrictions!? ;)

Regards,
 Michael.