Subject: Re: Virtual Domains question
From: Michael Svazas (mykdnagraphics.com.au)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 20:00:08 CDT

Quoting Andrew Houghton <aahacm.org>:

> But I don't understand what to put in for the ???. I want to allow
> people
> to use a pop3 server to get their mail from mail.hostedsite.foo, but I
> don't
> necessarily want them to actually exist as system users.. I'm a little
> confused.
>
> - Andrew

check out http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/

this is from the server overview page on the above page
<QUOTE>
A full Cyrus IMAP implementation allows a seamless mail and bulletin board
environment to be set up across multiple servers. It differs from other IMAP
server implementations in that it is run on "sealed" servers, where users are
not normally permitted to log in. The mailbox database is stored in parts of
the filesystem that are private to the Cyrus IMAP system. All user access to
mail is through software using the IMAP, POP3, or KPOP protocols.
</QUOTE>

another link worth looking at is:
http://www.oswg.org/oswg-nightly/oswg/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/exchange-
replacement-howto/exchange-replacement-howto.html

(that's one URL... sorry if it breaks in the middle)

the problem with the exchange-rep-howto is that it's written for sendmail, but
contains info on using cyrus and ldap. i was actually thinking of asking
someone on the list if they thought it be difficult to implement using postfix.