Subject: Re: CDB tables ?
From: Greg A. Woods (woodsweird.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 12:34:29 CDT

[ On , September 10, 2000 at 12:43:37 (-0400), Mark W. Eichin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CDB tables ?
>
> You'll probably get a fair speedup by ditching DBM and using hash: or
> better yet btree: (berkeley db in btree mode), though not as much as
> CDB would get. (I'm amazed that anyone uses DBM at all anymore, given
> how poorly most vendor versions handle non-trivial sized tables...)

It's similarly amazing how many people use indexed files of any sort for
small tables when in many cases a linear search is faster and of course
simpler all around. Even a binary search in a sorted table is often
fast enough and can be much more robust than an indexed file (though of
course the implementation has to be careful to keep the user from ever
touching the sorted version of the table! :-).

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098 VE3TCP <gwoodsacm.org> <robohack!woods> Planix, Inc. <woodsplanix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woodsweird.com>