Subject: Re: Want email to immediately bounce.
From: Wietse Venema (wietseporcupine.org)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 19:36:18 CDT

Lars Hecking:
> Laurence Hall writes:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have two questions.
> >
> > 1. Is there documentation of all the configuration parameters somewhere?
>
> The man pages, and /etc/postfix/sample-*.cf.
>
> > 2. I am working in a QA environment on a bounce-back email parser. When I
> > send out email, I want it to immediately bounce, not be retried X times or
> > hang around for 5 days while it is retried.

Easy. Specify a non-existent destination, and the mail will bounce
immediately if your machine is configured to do direct internet
delivery (which is the default).

Or specify a transport map entry for a bogus domain, like this:

    /etc/postfix/main.cf:

    /etc/postfix/transport:
        bogus.domain error:This mail bounces

This is the more robust solution. A destination that does not exist
today may exist the next day, as Dan Farmer and I found out a year
or so after we used victim.com as an example in a paper.

        Wietse