Subject: Re: NFS Delivery Problems on Linux
From: Matthias Andree (madt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 10:35:11 CDT

Ralf Hildebrandt <news-list.postfix.usersinnominate.de> writes:

> Yes, I know, delivery to NFS sucks.

So do not do it then. Thou shalt use hard mounts, even if it bringest
thy device to its knees. Export (rather than import) a separate tree via
NFS and symlink that in the $HOMEs, so Postfix will not use NFS, but the
clients will. Provided that the server can withstand the network load,
of course.

> Problem: The $HOME's are NFS mounted, so if somebody wants to use
> procmail, vacation or whatever can be called from .forward, it's not
> availbale during a "backout" of the NFS Server.
>
> Why does "local" not recognize that the NFS mount isn't available?

Because it does not stat the parent directory to see if it's there (and
backs off deferring the mail if unavailable), like qmail-local does.

I have been begging Wietse to have this as an option for ages, but it's
usually "how can stat()ing .forward complete [i. e. return] with the
mount unavailable?". I keep answering "with autofs and automountd", but
it's still not there.

Don't deliver to NFS imported directories with Postfix. It's
unreliable. It's as simple as that.

--
Matthias Andree