Subject: Re: Postfix & Logcheck
From: Brad Knowles (blkskynet.be)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 07:15:52 CDT

At 12:05 PM +0000 2000/9/19, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> Use Jim Sun's pflogsumm.pl instead. It's better suited for that particular
> purpose. Otherwise: grep for "fatal", "warning" and "panic" :)

        The pflogsumm.pl script is appropriate for generating stats
regarding system throughput, how many messages were seen in what
period of time, etc..., but not for watching the system and
generating alerts to the admin as to inappropriate behaviour.

        These are two totally different sorts of monitoring, and a script
for doing one function is not appropriate for use in the other role.

Brad Knowles, <blkskynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania.