Subject: Re: ETRN too fast!
From: Daniel Roesen (droesenentire-systems.com)
Date: Wed Sep 27 2000 - 10:52:31 CDT

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 11:37:31AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
> (A) Setting up the routing for the domain to a specific IP address.

How would you approach that without a persistant source of this
information? Read: no RADIUS or comparable source available?

I want to provide something like ETRN for customers using dialup
connectivity of arbitrary ISPs...

> Part (B) is the central building block for implementing and for
> implementing "sendmail -qRsite", for eligible sites. If you have a
> site on a dynamic IP address, then you set up a route as per (A)
> before doing (B).

But (B) needs a way to inform Postfix to flush the queue for the
specific site anyway. Will this come with your new ETRN daemon?

> However, a scheme like "flush mail for site X to IP address Y" is
> not robust. If the site loses connectivity while an MTA is delivering
> mail, then someone else may receive their mail instead.

There, you have a very valid point I can't argument against. But
this problem will ever exist with dynamic IP clients. Not, if
one implements SMTP TURN. This is solid against this problem but
has other flaws (which clients support TURN? I don't know about
any).

Best regards,
Daniel

entire systems GmbH         | droesenentire-systems.com
Internet Services           | Phone: +49 2624 9550-55
Ferbachstrasse 12           | Fax:   +49 2624 9550-20
D-56203 Hoehr-Grenzhausen   | http://www.entire-systems.com/