From: Wietse Venema (wietseporcupine.org)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 08:52:28 CDT

    Postfix requires synchronous directory updates; in fact, that is
    where Postfix can spend most of its time. Without synchronous
    directory updates, queue files end up in lost+found if the machine
    halts before it has synced the disk.

    Examples: kernel bug, power failure, hardware problem.

    Postfix attempts to turn on synchronous writes on queue directories
    (with chattr +S) at INSTALLation time. This also causes file writes
    to become synchronous, which is slow. Use a non-volatile write
    cache if you must use ext?fs or ReiserFS and want reliable mail
    and good performance.

    "Correcting" this behavior in Postfix requires patching all file
    and directory create and rename operations (including maildir).
    Such code cannot be tested, and therefore it is not acceptable.

    Bugs like this are better fixed in the Linux kernel.

            Wietse

    Florin Andrei: