Trouble authenticating to SMTP with sasl

From: THEON COMPUTER CORPORATION (computerservicesgmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2006 - 12:22:33 CDT

I've researched this thought the Internet, I've looked through various posts
concerning this issue but I still can't seem to be able to get this
resolved. Please excuse if this is posted in the wrong mailing list. If so,
tell me which mailing list this is supposed to be posted on. Here it goes:

Everytime I try to send e-mail and authenticate through my SMTP, I get the
following error in my /var/mail/log/warnings file. My e-mail client
(thunderbird) keeps prompting me for the password but it never accepts it.
I'm using sasl and all my users authenticate through a mysql database. The
pasword field is "clear".

*Apr 17 12:51:18 chaos postfix/smtpd[9773]: warning: unknown: SASL PLAIN
authentication failed
Apr 17 12:51:21 chaos postfix/smtpd[9773]: warning: SASL authentication
failure: Password verification failed*

The following is the contents of my /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf:

*pwcheck_method: auxprop
auxprop_plugin: sql
mech_list: plain login cram-md5 digest-md5
sql_engine: mysql
sql_hostnames: 127.0.0.1
sql_user: mail
sql_passwd: apassword
sql_database: maildb
sql_select: select clear from users where id='%u%r' and enabled = 1*

Here's the pertinent lines from my /etc/postfix/main.cf file:
*smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_sasl_path = /etc/postfix/sasl:/usr/lib/sasl2

smtpd_sender_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated, permit_mynetworks,
reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unknown_sender_domain,
reject_unauth_pipelining, permit
*

Here's the contents of my /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd file:

*# $Id: saslauthd.sysconfig,v 1.1 2001/05/02 10:55:48 wiget Exp $
# Authentications mechanism (for list see saslauthd -v)
SASL_AUTHMECH=pam

# Hostname for remote IMAP server (if rimap auth mech is used)
# Ldap configuration file (if ldap auth mech is used)
SASL_MECH_OPTIONS=

# Extra options (for list see saslauthd -h)
SASLAUTHD_OPTS=*

No matter what I do, I simply cannot get the SMTP authentication to work.
IMAP authentication works just fine. I'm using Postfix 2.1.5 on Mandriva
Linux 2005 LE. The usernames used is the email address. For instance, for
joemydomain.com the username is actually joemydomain.com.

Any help would be certainly appreciated.