Postfix code metrics updated

From: Wietse Venema (wietseporcupine.org)
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 08:34:49 CDT

Attached is a picture that shows how the Postfix source code has
expanded in the past 8+ years since the first alpha test. For
comparison I also include the same metrics for Sendmail 8 and qmail.
To make the numbers somewhat comparable I first reformatted the
code to K&R style. This expanded qmail source code by some 25%,
but had no significant on Sendmail or Postfix. I then stripped
source code comments. This reduced the Postfix line count by 44%.

The figure shows that Postfix has been growing at 8klines of code
annually on average. This, however, under-estimates the rate of
change. In reality more new code was written each year, either
because existing code was replaced (example: introduction of IPv6
support) or because existing code was removed (example: the LMTP
client).

At this point Postfix is mostly complete, and further changes will
happen at a much slower rate. This brings all the benefits of a
mature system: what people learn today is more likely to be valid
a few years down the road.

        Wietse

postfix-metrics.gif