Re: High Availability/Fault Tolerant outbound mail servers

From: Rob Chanter (robcadelie.national.com.au)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2007 - 18:00:59 CDT

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 06:03:16PM +1000, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 04:45:51PM +1000, Rob Chanter wrote:
> >
> > Around here we'd probably use SRDF for that sort of thing. I haven't
> > really considered it for DMZ MXes, though.
>
> Haven't heard of that, I'll give it a look tonight (no internet on the
> train, but a good time to catch up on mailing lists)

SRDF is just the EMC SAN replication thingy. Other SAN vendors will have
their own equivalents. Since it's block-level replication, you don't have
to worry about inodes being out of whack. I'm assuming the same for
zreplicate from what I've read.

> ZFS seems really nice. I'm hoping it gets freed up to Linux-compatible
> licence levels soonish.

I wouldn't hold your breath. My sense of the OpenSolaris community(ies) is
that they feel that major license changes would be an unnecessary
distraction at best. On the bright side, someone's already gotten a
working port running under FUSE
(http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/061807-zfs-on-linux.html,
http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/, http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE).

cheers
rob

National Australia Bank Ltd - ABN 12 004 044 937
This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us at postmasternational.com.au or by replying to the sender, and then destroy all copies of this email. Except where this email indicates otherwise, views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not of National Australia Bank Ltd. Advice in this email does not take account of your objectives, financial situation, or needs. It is important for you to consider these matters and, if the e-mail refers to a product(s), you should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement(s)/other disclosure document(s) before making any decisions. If you do not want email marketing from us in future, forward this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line to Unsubscribenational.com.au in order to stop marketing emails from this sender. National Australia Bank Ltd does not represent that this email is free of errors, viruses or interference.