Re: How to configure a "pseudo null client"?

From: Uwe Dippel (udippeluniten.edu.my)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2008 - 21:22:02 CDT

alanpatriot.net wrote:

> This is what still needs explaining. I have taken a look at the
> documentation for building postfix, and nowhere did I see any
> mention of how to build postfix to use -- or disuse -- procmail.
>
> And I fear I must here mention again: procmail is nowhere
> mentioned in _my_ files in /etc/postfix (main.cf master.cf etc)

Alan, as much as I might be able to understand your frustrations, and as
much as I can understand that you want postfix and everything else work
out of the box - we all want -, may I suggest to close this unproductive
thread?
I do understand that your setup did not work. Postfix did, it was your
local mail delivery that didn't.
Postfix works, also here, without procmail.

I have checked on my Debian Etch and this is what is says:

> $ apt-cache show postfix
> Package: postfix
> Section: mail
> Installed-Size: 2464
> Maintainer: LaMont Jones <lamontdebian.org>
> Architecture: i386
> Source: postfix (2.3.8-2)
> Version: 2.3.8-2+b1
> Replaces: postfix-doc (<< 1.1.7-0), postfix-tls, mail-transport-agent
> Provides: mail-transport-agent, postfix-tls
> Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libdb4.3 (>= 4.3.28-1), libsasl2-2, libssl0.9.8 (>= 0.9.8c-1), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, netbase, adduser (>= 3.48), dpkg (>= 1.8.3), lsb-base (>= 3.0-6), ssl-cert
> Recommends: mail-reader
> Suggests: procmail, postfix-mysql, postfix-pgsql, postfix-ldap, postfix-pcre, sasl2-bin, libsasl2-modules, resolvconf, postfix-cdb

Fine, isn't it?
I myself use a procmailrc for the recipe 'Maildir'. I had to find out
myself that I needed it, but I can't and won't blame postfix for that.
postfix allows to configure Maildir delivery.

Relay, and take it easy. If you wanted to help, maybe you better help
with documentation for users of complete systems instead of quarreling
with those who provide the 'bricks'.

Uwe