SMTP sessions

From: Rocco Scappatura (Rocco.Scappaturainfracom.it)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2009 - 05:39:01 CST

Hello.

I have a mail gateway system that consists of several
Postfix+MySQL+Amavisd-new machines behind a load balancer.

I have defined a balancing policy based on number of SMTP sessions that
every server has to manage.

But, even if the session is perfectly balanced, I see that the average
latency of a message in Postfix queues is too high on some machines and
quite zero on other.

And the same happens for CPU's load.

What I infer is that every session can be used to devilver/send
different email messages (other then every message as inerently a
different size).

It is right my argument or Im wrong in something? If yes, has Postfix
the control of the number of message that could be manage by each SMTP
session?

Thanks,

rocsca