Re: understanding address_verify_poll_delay

btbbitrate.net
Date: Wed Jul 09 2014 - 18:16:24 CDT

On Jul 9, 2014, at 18.48, Wietse Venema <wietseporcupine.org> wrote:

> btb:
>> with respect to my previous question about address verification, i think
>> i'm not understanding address_verify_poll_delay correctly. while
>> working on troubleshooting the 6.2 second delay during the smtp
>> handshake, i'd set address_verify_poll_delay to 15 seconds, expecting
>> that postfix would then wait up to that long for verification of an
>> address to occur.
>
> address_verify_poll_delay (default: 3s)
> The DELAY BETWEEN QUERIES for the completion of an address verification
> request in progress.

it is this exact wording which left me confused. is each queue id a single address verification request? or is the entire session while the client waits for all addresses to be verified a single address verification request? logic would seem to indicate the former. in any case, i want postfix to wait up to 15 seconds for each address before deciding the status isnít deliverable, not wait for 15 seconds idling after a verification request takes a fraction of a second to complete. how can these two elements of time be set independent of each other?

-ben