Re: mailman issue

From: /dev/rob0 (rob0gmx.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 07 2014 - 06:30:31 CDT

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 02:55:49PM -0400, Curtis Maurand wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is on topic or not. I can't tell whether
> this is mailman issue or a postfix issue.
>
> I have set up mailman.

The simple way to do Postfix and Mailman is to put your lists
subdomain[s] in $mydestination, and add your mailman aliases to
alias_maps. Then everything Just Works. Mailman maintains its own
aliases; lists can be added, changed or deleted without any MTA
configuration nor elevated privileges.

A drawback to this approach is that you can't easily have an
identical listname in more than one domain; for example if you want
"saleslists.example.com" and "salesinfo.example.net" on the same
Postfix/Mailman instance, this is not easy to do. (It can be done
with some virtual aliases, but these must be manually maintained
if/when changes are necessary.)

Another drawback is as noted, you really should have separate
subdomains for lists. It's possible to do it with your main domain,
e.g., example.com, in mydestination, but you must ensure that your
Mailman list manager[s] never override a real user's address by
creating a list of the same name.

[snip the Mailman part]
> the transport entry is:
>
> lists.xyonet.com mailman
> lists.delrc.org mailman
>
> Then in the master.cf i have
> mailman unix - n n - - pipe flags=FR
> user=list argv=/etc/mailman/postfix-to-mailman.py ${nexthop} ${mailbox}
>
> main.cf
>
> mydestination = canon.xyonet.com, localhost.xyonet.com,
> localhost, mysql:/etc/postfix/mydestination.cf

Perhaps drop the mysql lookup and just add the two lists domains.

> local_recipient_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/sql-recipients.cf

This sounds terribly complicated and subject to breakage. Leave it
default (don't set it in main.cf at all) and it works with your
Mailman aliases added to alias_maps as mentioned above.

Note that the local_recipient_maps default includes $alias_maps.
That's how recipient address validation works for mydestination
domains.

> transport_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/transport.cf

Transport maps in mysql are rarely a good idea, even when they DO
work as desired. In this case you should not need them.

> I'm getting local user unknown errors when I try to send email to
> the list., but as far as I know, I shouldn't need local aliases
> with this configuration

As explained above, no. Of course I am only guessing that your
mysql:/etc/postfix/mydestination.cf returns something when queried
for your list domains -- you did not share logs anywhere.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/