Subject: Re: Ethical/Theoretical Question
From: Henry Sieff (hsieffORTHODON.COM)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 17:01:16 CDT

No; I don't think any self-propogating program which performs administrative actions on someone else pc will only undermine security by encouraging people to execute apps from unknown sources. If there is a "friendly" virus going around conducting scans on people's systems, and people become accustomed to this "friendly" virus, it will only be a matter of time before someone modifies it to do malicious things and releases it.

I feel the same way about web sites: unless you make it "opt-in" designing your web site to scan a visitor for weaknesses is bad bad bad.

Henry Sieff