Subject: Re: NTFS and ACLs
From: Eaton, Arthur (EATONASTATE.GOV)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 14:24:26 CDT

Colin Stefani, on September 14, 2000 03:04 PM, wrote:

> You might have the NT 5.0 ACL manager installed. Even though <
> it's NT 4, there is a security tool that Micorsoft produces <
> that will check ACL's and give you over-all security control <
> of the filesystem and machine policies (I don't recall the <
> exact name of the tool, but it's an MMC snap-in interface). <

It's Security Configuration Manager. I got hit with the same
problem. On the one hand, it gives you more flexibility; on the
other hand, as Colin noted, it won't work with boxen that don't
have it installed. On the gripping hand, you're stuck with it.
Use another box to do remote security configuration changes.

 Arthur Eaton
 Security Coordinator
 CA/EX/CSD/DO
 202-663-1398 or
 eatonastate.gov

## The opinions above are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the position of any Government or other entity. ##