Re: SQL passwords

From: Martin Rublik (martin.rublikgmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 05:09:21 CDT

pma111 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Are there any penetration testing / commercial cracking tools on the market,
> or freebies, where we could export the password hashes directly from our SQL
> tables (sys.syslogins) and crack the passwords offline, so not to affect our
> live servers? Any pointers would be great.
>
> Thanks

Cain & Abel is able to crack SQL passwords offline. It even dumps them from MS
SQL 2005 database using ODBC. For 2008 MS SQL you need to dump them manually. E.g.

SELECT

name AS UserName,
CAST([password] AS VARBINARY(MAX)) AS EncryptedPass,
CAST(SUBSTRING([password],2,2) AS VARBINARY(MAX)) AS Salt,
CAST(SUBSTRING([password],4,LEN([password])-3) AS VARBINARY(MAX)) AS MixCaseHash

FROM master.dbo.syslogins
WHERE [password] IS NOT NULL

and then use Cain. It looks like SQL server 2008 doesn't store uppercase hash
anymore so mixcase has to be enough for offline attacks.

Regards

Martin