Re: pbnj and alternatives

From: Robin Wood (dninjagmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2010 - 17:01:03 CDT

On 2 April 2010 15:06, Miguel Gonzalez <miguel_3_gonzalezyahoo.es> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  I'm testing a tool called pbnj. It performs scans with nmap and store the information in a database that is used for comparing previous scans.
>
>  It's not a tool for monitoring like Nagios (which we'll already have). We are not going to coutinously run this script (like every 5 minutes) but maybe once a day or week.
>
> They aim is to to keep a baseline of the services that SHOULD BE open in our servers in a database and compare it to the scan we perform from time to time. A report should tell us two things:
>
> - If a new port has been open. That way we can be sure that no new ports
> are open without being warned.
>
> - If a port that should be open is closed.
>

> Before reinventing the wheel, I'd like to know if there is any tool like this with better functionality (it's pretty basic, a perl script, the reports and the routine scans have to be configured manually).  As I said, essentially performs a scan (with nmap) over a range of IPs and stores the results in a database. Then it tells you if a port has changed its state (from up to down or viceversa - however I'm digging the code to add a "new" state too).
>

> Any other tool similar to this one with better capabilities?

Have a look at the tools on here

http://www.unspecific.com/2008/12

There is a nmap-diff that will compare two sets of nmap scans. It
hasn't been updated for a while same as the one you mention is just a
perl script but may suit your purposes.

The nmap-wrapper tools also helps if you are scanning large networks.

Robin