Subject: Re: Solaris 2.8, was Locking down a Sun box
From: Amos Gouaux (+archive.focus-sunUTDALLAS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 19:01:16 CDT

kb> It is my understanding that a lot of Sun shops have kinda ignored 2.7,
kb> but are looking at 2.8. Any others have thoughts on this???

That's what we're doing. For various reasons we never really
deployed 7, and we're now beginning to deploy 8 and have had pretty
good results so far.

kb> Also, we (as I'm sure many others) do not install the first release of
kb> any OS. I heard that there was going to be a 6/00 release of Solaris 2.8.
kb> Anybody (especially any of the Sun folks on the list) who can confirm /
kb> deny this???

I don't like hardfast rules like this because they in themselves
don't guarantee reliable systems. We simply try to phase deployment
out gradually, so if there's a snag we're not too deep in the hole.
So far this has worked out pretty well.

I've also heard through the grapevine that much work has gone into 8
to make it pretty darn solid, and so far I haven't seen anything on
our campus to refute that. Though, we're just in the beginning
stages of deployment. ;-)

One of the reasons why we're interested in 8 is the native LDAP
support in nsswitch. Has anybody here put this to serious use yet?
While we haven't had a toooo horrible time with NIS+, I would sure
love to replace it with LDAP if I can. I don't expect LDAP to be a
panacea, but at least it is more widely understood and excepted.

Amos