Subject: Re: linux v. solaris
From: Jed Dobson (jedWGTECH.COM)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 09:11:52 CDT

This is the difference between "Open Systems" and close propriety ones.
Unix is a open system designed to improve productivity through openness.
Sun's original market was the desktop of high-end technical and graphic
users. These people need easy access to data and want to share data rather
then lock each user into a jail. I work with enough engineers who need to
screw with ACL's all day just so they can all create and write to
drawings,etc. This is SunOS's roots. I am all for open "trusted" systems.
Do I need to prevent users from rsh'ing back and forth? Hell no, if their
workstation is doing something like a fracture they can switch to another
hopefully bigger workstation or server and do whatever they wish. Its a
trade off, yes. I would rather have openeness and then deal with security
on the front end.

Jed Dobson
Sun Enterprise Certified Systems Engineer
Workgroup Technology Partners, an Enterprise Elite Sun VAR!