Re: [Snort-users] Snort 2.9.0 Now Available

From: waldo kitty (wkitty42windstream.net)
Date: Mon Oct 04 2010 - 19:45:24 CDT

On 10/4/2010 19:52, Eoin Miller wrote:
> On 10/4/10 7:24 PM, waldo kitty wrote:
>>> trying to compile from sources and run into a problem with missing libdnet... is
>>> this lib absolutely necessary or is there a way to disable it if it is not?
>>>
>>> :?
>> i forgot to mention that this failure comes in the configure section of our
>> build... it looks like russ was right in that this libdnet library is now
>> required even if we use NO compile time options :sigh: :?
>>

> It is in the changelog:
>
> * Snort no longer depends on libnet and uses libdnet instead.

yeah, that really means nothing to this poor code jockey other than yet another
lib to figure out how to install and get compiled in my environment... i can
only imaging what the corporate side maintainers are going to face... they have
basically the same things to deal with that i do... i just have the chance to be
a step or three ahead of them and make my releases as mods to the official
release of the total package...

> Also libdnet is going to be called libdumbnet in most Linux package
> based repositories. However it is going to install the libraries under
> different names so it still can't find it when being installed. Just
> pull the source and compile/install prior to configure/make with Snort
> (or just make the appropriate symlinks):

that's just great... not... :sigh:

> http://code.google.com/p/libdnet/downloads/list
>
> Don't forget to grab daq from snort.org and compile/install it first,
> that had me banging my head against the wall for like 10 minutes trying
> to figure out what was goin on when I was playing with the beta. 2.9.0
> is super awesome though for many many reasons and everyone should
> upgrade happily.

AFAIK, we don't use DAQ in our setup... pcap seems to be what we use but i've
not dug into the code to determine that... our official releases do not use any
compile time options at all... then again, our FOSS stuff is aimed at those
machines that everyone is throwing away because they don't think they have any
use left in them... sheesh, we're pulling P4's out of the dumpsters these
days... with 1+Gig of RAM and "huge" HDs where we only need ~10G of HD space...