Subject: news story and router passwords
From: Vitaly Osipov (vosTELENOR.CZ)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 09:35:43 CDT

Hello all,

I think everybody knows that media reporting on hackers and their tools is,
ehm, very improper :)
I've read one article recently
 http://www.denverpost.com/business/biz1012d.htm ) in which it is clamed
that some hacker after sniffing router password changed it and made
*something* after that they were not able to recover that password. Have
somebody heard of such problems (it looks like they were using cisco,
because they say - "If this guy posts how he actually did this, the whole
Internet's wide open." )? AFAIK ciscos have password recovery procedures, at
least those which are not low-end.

Frankly speaking I'd suppose that they just did not back up their config :)
(because it looks like they even did not use access-lists etc.)

regards,
Vitaly.