Re: "Moving" Stack: my poor return address!

From: Alexander Klimov (alserkliinbox.ru)
Date: Wed Aug 02 2006 - 04:14:07 CDT

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Jack C wrote:
> I'm running on Fedora 5. Is this a security thing that's new in the past
> 2 years or so since I've coded one of these?

Yes, many distributions now use by default address space

> Is there any way I can either (1) make the stack sit still so I can
> point into it

 To disable randomization for a shell session:
   setarch $(uname -p) -RL bash
 To disable randomization for the whole system, add this to
   kernel.randomize_va_space = 0
 After that, run 'sysctl -p' as root to update the kernel without

> or (2) find out where it is during execution?

Just printf address of some local variable (they are allocated in