From: Peter Gründl (pgrundlkpmg.dk)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 04:07:57 CDT

    Title: Apache Tomcat Denial of Service

    BUG-ID: 2002025
    Released: 20th Jun 2002

    Problem:
    ========
    A malicious user could tie up all 75 working threads and cause a
    Denial of Service situation.

    Vulnerable:
    ===========
    - Apache Tomcat 4.0.3 on Windows 2000 Server

    Not Vulnerable:
    ===============
    - Apache Tomcat 4.1.3 beta on Windows 2000 Server

    Details:
    ========
    By sending a large amount of null characters to the web service
    it is possible to cause a working thread to hang. The default
    installation has 75 working threads, which means this malformed
    request has to be sent to the server 75 times.

    Vendor URL:
    ===========
    You can visit the vendor webpage here: http://jakarta.apache.org

    Vendor Response:
    ================
    This was reported to the vendor on the 23rd of May, 2002. We
    never heard back from the vendor. On the 10th of June, 2002, the
    issue was confirmed fixed in the latest build.

    Corrective action:
    Upgrade to V4.1.3 beta, which is available here (URL is wrapped):

    "http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release
    /v4.1.3-beta/"

    Author: Peter Gründl (pgrundlkpmg.dk)

    KPMG is not responsible for the misuse of the information we provide
    through our security advisories. These advisories are a service to
    the professional security community. In no event shall KPMG be lia-
    ble for any consequences whatsoever arising out of or in connection
    with the use or spread of this information.