[VulnWatch] With regards to the Adobe Acrobat Reader advisory (#NISR03022004)

From: NGSSoftware Insight Security Research (nisrnextgenss.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 2004 - 13:11:03 CST

Hello all,
I've been inundated with e-mails asking whether operating systems other than
Windows are affected by XFDF overflow. Whilst I did not state that Windows
is the only OS affected, and I should have done, I thought it was clear,
incorrectly, that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows was indeed the only one
and not Mac, *nix, etc.

From the original advisory:

When the xfdf file is parsed an unsafe call to sprintf is made in
preparation for outputting a debug message using OutputDebugString.

OutputDebugString is a Win32 API function, exported by kernel32.dll.
Conseqently, the vulnerable code path will exist only in the Windows version
of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Cheers,
David Litchfield