NTSecAdvice Archives: Re-release of Microsoft Security Bulletin

Re-release of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-042

Mark (markNTSHOP.NET)
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:02:00 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Microsoft Product Security Notification Service
[mailto:MICROSOFT_SECURITYANNOUNCE.MICROSOFT.COM] On Behalf Of
Microsoft Product Security
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 1999 2:23 PM
To: MICROSOFT_SECURITYANNOUNCE.MICROSOFT.COM
Subject: Re-release of Microsoft Security Bulletin MS99-042

The following is a Security Bulletin from the Microsoft Product Security
Notification Service.

Please do not reply to this message, as it was sent from an unattended
mailbox.
                    ********************************

On October 15, 1999, Microsoft released Security Bulletin MS99-042, which
discussed the availability of a patch that eliminates the "IFRAME
ExecCommand" vulnerability in Microsoft(r) Internet Explorer 4.01 and 5.0.
However, we subsequently determined that the patch contained a regression
error. While the patch did provide protection against the "IFRAME
ExecCommand" vulnerability, it re-exposed a previously-patched security
vulnerability. We have corrected the regression error and re-released the
patch.

We have updated the security bulletin and FAQ, and it is available at
http://www.microsoft.com/security/bulletins/ms99-042.asp. The updated
bulletin contains information on the vulnerability, the regression error,
and the updated patch. Please note that the regression error only affected
the IE 5.0 version of the patch; the patch for IE 4.01 was unaffected, and
customers who applied it do not need to take any action.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this incident, and are working
to improve our process in order to prevent similar incidents in the future.
Regards,

The Microsoft Security Response Team