From: hellNbak (hellnbakNMRC.ORG)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 12:27:59 CDT

                              Nomad Mobile Research Centre
                                     A D V I S O R Y
                                      www.nmrc.org
                              hellNbak [hellnbaknmrc.org]
                                       27May2001

                                  Platform : Windows 2000, Windows NT
                               Application : Specter IDS [www.specter.com]
                                  Severity : Low

    Synopsis
    --------

    Specter IDS - which is really a honeypot - can be exploited remotely to
    consume all available CPU resources by using some very simple methods.
    Additionally, other issues with Specter IDS have been discovered.

    Tested configuration
    --------------------

    Testing was done with the following configuration :

    Windows NT Server 4.0
    Service Pack 6a + a ton o hot-fixes
    Specter IDS 4.5, and 5.0 [5.5 is latest version - not tested]

    Windows 2000
    SP1
    Specter IDS 4.5 and 5.0

    Problem(s) Reported
    -------------------

    Specter is a honeypot of sorts that is supposed to log and alert admins
    via email when the machine with Specter installed on it is hit with a port
    scan or basic port connect requests. Specter sets up a number listening
    ports and supplies the remote attacker with fake banner information.

    The first issue, is very simple and almost laughable. Specter does not
    detect an Nmap stealth scan (the -sS option). Not only does Specter not
    detect these scans, the O/S identification feature correctly identifies
    the O/S that the product is running on.

    The second issue, also a lame one, is found by initiating Telnet sessions
    to one of the listening Specter ports. For example, TCP 23 - Telnet
    reports a fake banner when Specter is enabled and of course, there
    is actually no service behind the port. Telnet to this same port
    ten (10) times and six (6) out of ten (10) times you will receive a
    different fake banner. Obviously, an attacker would be tipped off that
    this is some sort of honeypot system.

    The last issue - again a lame one - is when a full Nmap scan is performed
    on the box running Specter. In particular, multiple (2 or 3) Nmap scans
    will cause the Specter engine to consume all CPU resources while
    attempting to generate alerts for the administrator. Additionally,
    constantly port scanning a Specter enabled machine will flood an
    administrators mailbox with hundreds of Sepcter alerts that are very low
    in detail and will essentially blind the administrator to any real issues.

    Solution/Workaround
    -------------------

    The latest version of Specter has not been tested. Vendor cooperation has
    been low. I guess the simplest work around is, don't run Specter. See
    rant below.

    Comments/Theory
    ---------------

    OK, I know this is a very lame advisory and almost not even worth the text
    it is typed with. But, I have noticed a few networks, mostly in Europe
    running Specter.

    I also have noted that these issues have been reported to the vendor by at
    least two other individuals. In talking with the vendor, I was also told
    that there are multiple other, more serious issues, with earlier versions
    of Specter and the engine piece of the software had to be re-engineered
    completely.

    The vendor cooperation was very spuratic and they were more worried about
    where/how I obtained their software to test than the actual issues. They
    also made a comment. "So what, you can crash a honeypot, what does it
    matter?" which I actually agree with to a point depending on your use of a
    honeypot. Honeypots as a research tool are valuable. Specter as a
    research tool is useless and I question its value as any kind of security
    feature or attack deterrant.

    Not really security issues I guess, but more bugs. Users of the software
    should know that this product does not enhance the security of anything.

    Disclaimer -

    "I don't intend to offend - I offend with my intent"

    hellNbaknmrc.org